Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Dog sitting

Jacob since we have been married has talked about how much he wants a Lab. I on the other hand got bit by my own big dog, and I am not fans of them. So basically I get the master salesman trying to get me to get him a dog. Then he the future he wants another dog...yes that is right 2 dogs!! Since I am not ready for a dog, and I feel we do not have the yard to keep a big dog like that happy I still have not given in. However the Pratt's in our ward needed someone to watch their dog. Since Jacob's birthday was coming up I volunteered so my guy could have a wonderful birthday. We got Juno for 10 days. I should have known things would not go so smoothly when I was reading the letter of instructions from the Pratt's and the first sentence said something like this, Juno still jumps up and so tell her down if she keeps jumping up on you give her a good knee to the stomach. Sara also warned me that since she is still a puppy she chews on everything. So even after all these warnings, I went with it so I would have one happy hubby.
The first day with Juno Jacob was so excited he came home from work early to play with her. They went swimming. Jacob kept telling me whenever I jump in she tries to save me watch....so I went out there and watched. This is not what I observed to me it looked like Juno was jumping on top of Jacob and he was actually kind of drowning. Other then Juno jumping all over me and the glass door the first day went ok, but after that everything went down hill. We were prisoners and could never go in the back yard because she would jump on us so much, she would run in the house ever chance she got, jump and knock over Eli, scratch the glass on my back door. She also ate the tube to our grill, she pulled the vacuum our of the pool and ate that, she ate one of the pillow on my lawn chair...trust me the list goes on and on. We also took her one walks to make her happy so she wasn't always in our backyard...lets just say she took us for walks. After 4 or 5 days we called another family in the ward that said they would watch Juno. We told the Peterson's we were overwhelmed....which I think is an understatement to how I felt.

Anyway after all that I still think Juno coming and staying at our house was the best move I ever did. Ever since she stayed Jacob has not said anything about getting a dog. He actually I think feels that same way I do. So this I have to say....THANK YOU SO MUCH AARON & SARA PRATT!! Oh yeah and Juno!!

Here are some pictures of our backyard after Juno left.

9/22/09 update on Juno damage. Juno also ate a sprinkler head to our lemon tree. It has since died, and now we only have our grapefruit tree. Jacob still does not ask or want a dog.

2 comments:

The Brennan Family said...

OMG that is hilarious (about the lesson learned and how it got your hubby to stop begging for a dog) but also so sad about your yard and stress, yikes. Puppies are hard work!

sara said...

Glad we could help out! :)

Seriously though, I do feel bad that it was such a hassle for you guys. Even now Juno is better behaved than she was a couple months ago; it was a rough summer with us being out of town so much and so her discipline wasn't too consistent. She still chews up some stuff that she's not supposed to but it's not as bad as it was then.

We always figured we'd get a dog once we had a yard; well we didn't end up getting a dog until NINE YEARS after we got our first yard :) For me it was easier to wait until the kids weren't babies any more so that I only had ONE baby (the puppy) to worry about... plus the kids totally help out with her now and it has been great. And, starting out with a tiny 5-pound, 5-wk-old puppy is a lot different then starting out with a super hyper, destructive, full-sized puppy too! If you got a tiny puppy I bet you'd fall in love with it... if that day ever comes of course :)