Thursday, October 23, 2008

Poor Sick Eli

During Tuesday night I noticed my little guy was having a problem breathing and that he seemed to have a very small cough. Being the new mother that I am I got up Wednesday early called the doctor and got Eli in 1st thing in the morning. I am sure this office thinks I am completely crazy! I could not find my car keys and so I decided to take the Mazda well in all the confusion I left my diaper bag in front of our house which had my wallet and spare diapers!! So needless to say I looked like a lost puppy dog yet again in the doctors office. Eli was again a little champ at the doctor the nurse said it was obvious my little guy didn't feel good, but he was so cute because he just kept smiling and playing with her. At one point the doctor even had me pin down Eli. He didn't like what the doctor was doing but he never cried. Both the doctor and the nurse told me what a good little baby I have. After the doctor looked at him he basically told me that Eli had a small cold, but was too little to receive any medication. I was sent home with a lecture to watch him closely.

I watched him very closely yesterday and although he never really napped and didn't eat as much as he normally does. He seemed ok. I went to my trainer and left him with my mother. When I got home from the trainer I stayed and visited with my mom and then headed home around 9 O'clock. Eli started getting fussy and was pretty up set with me. I could tell he was not feeling well. I put him to sleep and was surprised that even though he wasn't feeling well he slept until 2:45 am (I thought for sure he was going to wake up every hour). When I pulled him out of his crib I felt that he was extremely warm. I pulled him over to the changing table and checked his temp right away. I was so freaked out when it said 100.7. (the doctor always told me that I needed to take him to the hospital if he temp ever reached 100.4 or above) I quickly woke Jacob up and asked him to call this nurse 24 hour hot line that our insurance has. After talking to them I asked Jacob to give Eli and blessing then I just rocked and comforted him for a while. He ended up falling asleep and so I let him sleep in our room so I could keep an eye on him.

When Eli woke up this morning I took his temp again and it was 100.2. I decided I could get this down on my own and the doctors really can't do much for him when he is so little. I grabbed this Vicks vaporizer I have and went into our bathroom. I turned the shower on as hot as it would go and it got the room real steamy. Eli seemed to really love it and just cuddled on me. It was cute because Eli's hair got really curly (hmmm I wonder who he got that from). I am not sure if we are out of the wood just yet, but ever since noon today his temp has been back to normal. Eli is such a sweet little guy because even though he is sick he is still all smiley and playful. I just love my little man.

Here is Eli doing some tummy time today.

I just love those big eyes and droopy cheeks.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

It is seriously so freaky when your baby is sick. I work in a children's emergency department, and I am still totally scared whenever Tate is sick, and I feel like I have no idea what to do for him. I think you are doing a good job!

damonandkami said...

Stacy! It seems like your baby was just born! He is so dang cute! I haven't seen or talked to you in forever! We really need to get together! Let me know how your doing!

Whitney said...

oh my goodness i have missed so many cute posts!! you guys have been super busy and yes eli's laught is too cute- there really is nothing as cute as a giggling baby! or a happy baby at that! .. and p.s. i love you more than all the tea in china too! that had me totally laughing - happy belated!

Brette said...

I had no idea you put so many new posts up! Where have I been!? I love the pictures with all the pumpkins. You never told us if at the end of the outing Jacob still wanted 6 kids? How scary for little Eli! I would totally freak out. That is one thing I'm not looking forward too, sick babies... What a good idea to sit in the bathroom with the vaporizor too. And happy late birthday! Sounds like Jacob knows exactly what you like!

The Richins Family said...

poor baby! i hope he and you all feel better. what works for me that i wish someone would have told me this, is i have a huge calendar in my kitchen that lists everything out byt times and what's going on in the week/month. then when i am going somewhere the next day to do an errand, i write a list. well i know you probably couldn't do this at night not knowing that you were going to be taking him to the dr. so i am not trying to bug you about it at all and hope you don't take it that way. i was just saying that's how i stay organized and keeping up with daily life here at our home. :)

McKell and John said...

You are such a sweet mom stacy! I love hearing your stories and watching you be this adorable mommy. So neat! And you will always want more sleep! I swear, after Johnny grew out of his bad sleeping habits I took naps and slept in for the next three years trying to catch up on all that lost sleep!!

Elliot and Cami said...

Gosh you seem to know so much already! I need to do some more reading. I thought I would have a few more weeks before he arrived! I know I'm gonna freak out the first time he gets sick. You are doing so great!