Wednesday, June 4, 2008

1st Labor and Delivery Class

Well tonight Jacob and I had our 1st class to start preparing for Eli's arrival. Jacob has not been looking forward to this class! He kept repeating over and over again," I can't believe this class is 3 hours! What on earth are we doing for 3 hours? Also why are there 3 classes?" Well we got to the class and upon arrival we signed in and we were given an Alligator pen. This perked Jacob up....a little. Then the class started. We started off by meeting all the other couples in the class. I was surprised to see how many people signed up. It was also nice because most of us we due withing weeks of one another.

After that our class instructor had us fill out these anatomy sheets. They basically showed a woman's body when she is full term. After starting the paper and labeling everything Jacob and I soon realized that we didn't really know what most of the stuff was!!! Jacob of course had to throw in a few jokes here and there. Then she asked the class to start telling her what they marked for certain things. The man sitting next to me seemed to know the answer to everything. This was actually a little bit annoying which made Jacob say," Who is this guy? Does he think he is a doctor or something?" I don't know why but this was so funny to me.


After our little quiz we had a short break. It was so funny to watch all the women make their husbands buy them treats. I think Jacob and I were the only ones who didn't get something. I am very glad we didn't because when we came back we watched a video of a lady deliver her baby. Let's just say they didn't leave anything out. I had a hard time watching it, and I admit it did freak me out at times. Then at the very end when she had her baby boy the whole mood changed. Instantly it seemed like everything that woman just went through wasn't a big and was totally worth it. (I hear this is how women feel after) Jacob said he felt the same way after that part. I don't think everyone else in the room felt the same because the room was very silent and I honestly think most of the people were in shock.


The last thing we learned in our class was some breathing exercises that are supposed to help me relax. We started off sitting and doing long controlled breathing. Then we progressed to some short breathing techniques. With each breathing techniques we also learned different positions to sit in that might help us feel more comfortable. I realized right away that some of these things made me uncomfortable and I made sure to let Jacob know I was pretty sure I didn't want him to try this one one me. I know that if I didn't like them tonight Jacob shouldn't do them when I am actually in labor...I might hurt him or something!!! I liked this part though because Jacob was so amazing. I have to admit this surprised me. Jacob is such a caring person I figured he would be one of those husbands who would have labor pains or something with me just because he thought that would make me feel better. He took it so serious and it was like his father instincts kicked it. He was so focused and was truly trying to do everything so perfect. I know this wasn't the real thing, but I could tell instantly that when I do actually go into labor he is going to be my ROCK!! I am so thankful for that.

We have 2 more labor and delivery classes and then one nursing class still to go!

5 comments:

Kate said...

I've always LOVED those classes. I wanted to take them with all three babies... but we just did a refresher class for babies 2 & 3. I loved reading all about yours and can't wait to see you on Saturday!

Elliot and Cami said...

I didn't know women still take these classes. I think I would like to! I hope I remember to ask you at your shower where you signed up for them at?

sara said...

Such an exciting time!! I wanted to let you I can't be there tomorrow; sorry about that but I bet you guys will have an awesome time!!

nolongerablog said...

Stacy- please you cant hate me for not coming today! i have been out of town for a week and a half, and i leave again for a week plus again, i am so dand busy at work i dont even get a breather!!!! i am so sorry and i promis i will make it up to you. you know i would be there if i could, i couldnt even make it ot Kylies lunch-in or wedding!! i love you and im really sorry!!!! xoxox

Stock Family said...

When I read the part about the mood changing after the baby is born, I started getting emotional! That is the absolute truth that nothing else matters! And I had c-sections and still felt the same way each time! You are going to be such a wonderful mom! I'm so happy for you!
Kari Barnes Stock