Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Baby Update (way long you might just want to skim)

So out of now where I realized that I am almost to the 1/2 way mark of the pregnancy and I haven't posted anything about our experience so far. This is basically a play by play of events so far.
Finding Out
We found out we were expecting on Sunday, November 25th. Jacob and I had just gotten home for church and I wasn't feeling well. I wasn't feeling well ever since the night before, which got me thinking. Normally I feel sick in the morning until I eat and then I am back to my normals self. Well it wasn't normal for me to feel sick this long. Then I remembered getting really mad at Jacob on Thanksgiving for no reason. I thought to myself that I was probably pregnant. I told Jacob what I was thinking and he said I should take a pregnancy test. I thought this test was just a waste of money but I did it anyways. For some reason I accidentally bought this really fancy test that was electronic and it started showing this hour glass. I got distracted and started talking to Jacob when all the sudden I look down (my 5 seconds after taking the test) and it says pregnant. I starting jumping up and down telling Jacob. He of course thinks I am mistaken or confused and doesn't believe me until I show him. We both couldn't believe it!

Telling the Kartchner's
After finding out we were expecting we told ourselves we were not going to tell everyone until Christmas. We decided this because there would be so many fun ways we could tell and we were going to be spending Christmas in Florida with Jacob's family. Jacob's family is scattered all over the US and so we are lucky to get everyone together once a year. We thought how fun it would be to tell everyone in person. So it was set in one month we would tell everyone. Yeah that lasted for 15 minutes!!! I can remember who's idea it was but we decided to tell my family that I was pregnant at Sunday dinner. As my family is eating I went and put the test in my mother's bathroom and run back to the kitchen and said, "Mom what is in your bathroom?" I did it this way because I knew she would think Buddy did something naughty in there. So my mom takes off to the bathroom. Once my mom sees the test she starts screaming leading the kids to think something bad happened. She starting yelling more and the kids & Jerel start running in there to see what is going on. This part was cute because Austin was totally confused how I could be pregnant but I didn't have a big belly. I just kept looking at my stomach like it was going to start growing right in front of him. I later told Austin and Ethan that the baby was only about the size of a piece of rice.

Telling the Ash's
Telling Jacob's family went a completely different way. We ended up telling his parents on Monday. We went to their house for breakfast and while Jacob blessed the food he said he was thankful for our baby or something like that. After the prayer there was this totally akward silence which Linda finally broke by asking," Are you pregnant?" Jacob answered, "yes!" We were lucky my dad didn't tell them because he was working on their house and thought was had already told them. Well like right after we told them some of the construction crew came over and Linda and Cecil had to go work with them. Jacob and I finished eating and then just left. Looking back on this I think it is totally hilarious. About 2 weeks before we left for Florida our sister in Law Katie came into town and Jacob accidentally slipped that we were pregnant and so the cat was out of the bag. We decided to still wait to tell everyone.

Once we got to Florida Allison kept saying how she was going to saute mushrooms. This put me into a panic because was sick and I knew if smelt that I would be throwing up everyone. I told Jacob he had to tell everyone so I wouldn't seem like a brat. So Jacob just randomly in the middle of a sentence tells everyone I am pregnant. Jacob's family is full of Joksters and so no one believes him. After a few minutes of him promising it is true everyone says congratulations. Then in true Ash form Allison asks, "When is your due date?" to which I reply, "August 2nd" she then says, "I am due August 1st!" Then the whole are you serious thing keeps bouncing back and forth. Turns our Allison and I are both pregnant!

Morning Sickness
Why do they call this morning sickness? More like smell, thought, tired or anything will make you sick, sickness. I didn't throw up too often but I do A LOT of painful dry heaving. I can honestly say I squeezed every last bit of food or liquid out of my stomach at least 5 times. These moments I never want to relive and made me wonder how on earth people had more then one child! One time I got sick while driving home with Jacob and I pulled over and was throwing up in a bush. An officer saw me and pulled over to see what was going on. I am sure he thought I was drunk, but once I said I was pregnant he didn't ask any more questions and just left. My favorite sick story is when I went shopping with my sister and Mom and Christmas time. After shopping for a couple of hours I must of gone to long with out food. I started getting sick in Dillard's and we did a hightail to the parking lot. My mom see and paradise bakery across the parking lot so she goes running ahead to go get me a coke and food. I didn't know why she was taking off so i figured I had to hurry and follow her. My sister in the mean time is on her cell phone talking to someone and just follows along no sure what is going on either. Well the running made me sicker so I stop throw up and then keep going. I get to another bush and repeat the ritual. My sister is one her phone and doesn't know if she should got after my mom or stay with me. She just keeps looking at me like....man I am really happy this isn't me. After I finish round two I look back a see a man has been standing there watching this whole thing. I am sure he was thinking. What on earth are these women doing??? I would be thinking the same thing if I saw 3 women running with shopping bags and throwing up!

My sickest moments were in Florida and right when we got home. I was sick with the baby and some sort of Flu. All I have to say about that was I lost 10 lbs in 3 days and I thought I was dying. When I saw the doctor the next week. I got on the scale and the lady asked have you been sick...I wanted to to say YA THINK?

Things I want to Remember...
1. When I got back from Florida the baby had grown and so Ethan was asking me all of these questions. I finally said the baby was about the size of a small plum to which Ethan replied, "THAT'S ON BIG PIECE OF RICE"

2. I don't want to forget how every time we talked about me be pregnant or the baby Austin would just start at my stomach totally confused on sold on the fact that I was lying. He even picked up my shirt one time to check, and another time he pushed out his stomach and said, " I look more pregnant then you do"

3. The 1st time we heard the babies heart beat. I love it when Jacob looked at me all worried and said I wasn't expecting it to sound like that!

4. Feeling the baby kick the 1st time. Everyone told me it would be gentle and feel like you have a butterfly in your stomach. So I was really surprised when I felt what I would describe as a fish doing flips in my stomach. I am convinced my baby is just stronger!

5. The babies nicknames so far are: piece of rice, fishy, and the little Ya ya!

17 comments:

Brette said...

I had no idea that is how your mom and family found out! I can totally picture Aunt Vicki screaming and yelling and the story of you, your mom and sister running to paradise bakery cracked me up. And how cute are your two nephews! This was a great blog. Thank you for sharing this with us.

laura said...

That was so fun to read and you will be glad you kept record of how you feel and the good things as well. I already forget, which is a good thing if you ever want to have more!

AJ and Cindy said...

Thanks for sharing all your details, I can totally picture all those things happnening, even though I don't know hardly any of the other people, but I can see you perfectly! I am so excited for you to come to SLC in May! You better make tiem for me, should we plan some type of mini get together with all the girls? Ifyou have time of course! :)

Elliot and Cami said...

Thanks for posting this was so fun to read! I bought that fancy digital one too because the line one gave me an unclear result. The digital one is cool and I was giddy too when I saw "pregnant." My heart stopped for a minute! Well thanks for making me excited about the next 10+ weeks which I'm sure will be full of barfing stories. Can't wait until you find out what you are having! (I thought a boy but since you have been so sick I am kinda changing my prediction to a girl).

Flaherty Fam said...

This is why I love blogging. When would you ever write this great stuff down and let everyone get a glimpse of your life. I am so excited for you and love all the fun or not so fun things that have happened so far. Can't wait for more updates.

Kenyon said...

I loved reading all this. You will be so happy you wrote it all down. Oh, the joys of pregnancy. I am so excited for you. The day Jaxson was born was one of the BEST days of my life. You will be a great mother :)

Jake and Lynn said...

stacy... i seriously could not be happier for. It seems like we just barley found out we were pregnant and now she's already here! Savor every moment it's amazing and tiring and exhausting! By the way I love your "things I want to remember" part. I'm going to copy it and do it on my blog, just a little heads up! Keep up the posting...I can't wait to find out what you're having!!!

Brooklyn said...

I loved feeling my babies kick me for the first time. I am so excited for you! Isn't it great to write this down to have forever!

Paisley Quilt Works said...

I am so excited to find out what little one you guys will be having. Boys are lots of fun. I get to find out what i am having about a month after you. I hope all is well. I am just starting to feel better and we got to hear the heart beat today so it is more official that baby number two is on the way. Well give me a ring someday i would love to talk.

Swirls of Happy said...

How cute! I loved reading this post....there is nothing like the 1st baby and all the new experiences!!!! I am so happy for you guys and can't wait for you to experience the joy of 'mommy hood" :) P.S. After I had taken 3 of the regular tests, Jason told me to get the one with "words" (the fancy digital one) so we could be sure...he was totally shocked!

Stacy Hoyt said...

Congratulations! And enjoy! You'll be wonderful parents.

Alisse Baldwin said...

How FUN! You'll love having these.

sara said...

What great memories! Awesome that you've written them down. I remember a couple of preggo announcements but not all of them; which I'd kept a better record of things!

Bryan and Shelly Barney said...

Stacy--

I am glad you are feeling all better. It sounds like you had it rough for a while. I am just a few months ahead of you. Our boy just started kicking a few weeks ago. Once they start kicking it seems like they never stop. It is so fun!

P.S. I saw your mom yesterday at Gecko. She is so cute.

Amy said...

All your pregnancy stories are so great! I'm sure going through them was another thing, but one day you'll be able to laugh, right? Anyways, so happy to see your doing good and I can't wait for you guys to find out what it is! So exciting!

megan allen said...

So sweet! Your family's sound almost as crazy as mine. J/k! Such a great experience, being pregnant, right?

Kate said...

Hooray for all of these details! I love it. You're so cute.
By the way, that wheat bread recipe can be found at:
http://wellwellwells.blogspot.com/2008/03/wheat-bread.html