Sunday, November 15, 2009

Loosing my Appendix

So my plan was each night to sit down write about that day, and then it would be easier to update the blog about our wonderful trip to California. Huh if only it were that simple.
Right after writing my last post Jacob and my mom left for the movies. My dad and I stayed back to feed and play with Eli. I kept saying how my stomach has been hurting really bad and I should probably eat something so I don’t get sicker. (this is the thought while prego) anyway my dad and I head off to look for food. Since Jacob had the car we walked and carried Eli looking for someplace to eat. Carrying Eli was becoming very hard for me since I was getting so sick and feeling horrible. My dad’s phone rings and it is my mom telling us they are on their way back that something happened with the movie and that the Gilmore’s were on their way back too so we would all head to dinner together. Just as we were finishing up the call I said I have to go no sooner then I closed the phone did I start throwing up on the side of the road. Eli did NOT like this. As I am throwing up one of the most painful times of my life I hear my little guy so worried about me telling Papa to help me. We tried to hurry back to the hotel however I got sick again and had to stop and throw up some more. Now we are basically sprint walking through the hotel to the room so that I can be in one of the hotel rooms.

When Jacob gets back I tell them I am far too sick to go out, and I think should drink a sprite and go to bed. My mom and dad helped watch Eli while Jacob got them all food and me some sprite. Jacob was my hero at this point (as well as my parents) they all went into service mode and took great care of Eli and me. I went to sleep and had a horrible night. I kept throwing up or very painfully dry heaving and I had this horrible pain in my stomach. The next morning we were supposed to go to Church, Sunday Brunch, and then hang out at this pretty beach. I did not feel up to it, so my parents took Eli and Jacob stayed back with me. My parents were so sweet they would send pictures messages of Eli throughout the day so we at least go to see a little bit of what they were doing.

As the day went on I did not start feeling better. I kept my food down that afternoon however I realized that the pain in my stomach was really bad and we started to wonder if it was something else other then morning sickness. We called Adam and he was wonderful he just worked a 12 hour shift, but got off work and drove over an hour to Irvine to come and check me out. He had concern that it might be my appendix and loaded us up for the hospital right away. Looking back on this I think Adam did I wonderful job. He stayed really calm and jokingly told me to grab a change of clothes and my toothbrush. He pretty much knew I would be staying for a while but did a wonderful job at keeping us both calm. Oh man was a I glad Adam was there!!! I received VIP treatment. Instead of waiting hours in the ER we got right in and right to a bed in less than 45 minutes. I know getting a bed that fast is a huge deal. After the ER doc looked at me he thought that same thing that is was my appendix however they were having a hard time being sure for a few reasons. One pregnancy makes it very hard to diagnose since the symptoms are similar, two since I was pregnant it was very bad for me to get a CT which is the quickest way to see if the Appendix is inflamed, and three I was not acting or looking super sick or in pain unless someone pushed on me hard.


Anyway after sitting for a while with Jacob and Adam they took me away to do blood test and an ultra sound to check the baby and try to see the Appendix. So I guess the hospital just got two new fancy machines over $350,000 and these ladies we trying it out on me. It was nice because they tried really hard to get a good picture for the Dr, and the Surgeons. (Basically the surgeons’ wanted nothing to do with me since I was pregnant.) The ladies had to push really hard to get a good enough picture that hurt, but it really hurt when they would remove the pressure entirely. They kept asking me if I had taken any pain meds. I pretty much figured from what they were saying and from their questions that I for sure needed to get my appendix out. When I got back to my room Jacob was not back yet from dinner with Adam, but the Dr did confirm my fears and told me I had to get surgery and that I would be going in hopefully in the next couple of hours. He also told me that since the baby was so small and young I had a chance of losing the baby. Jacob came back at this point and the doctor filled him in. Jacob was a great source of comfort for me. I was trying my hardest from not bawling my eyes out, and I know Jacob knew this. He just spoke very calm and comforted me. He basically took charge and made it clear everything was going to be fine. When we were alone he gave me a blessing and really helped me even more.


After a couple of hours I was all prepped and off to surgery. Since I am pregnant they could not give me all the meds they normally give someone so I was fully aware of them poking and moving me around preparing me to go under. I remember thinking at one point I really really hope I got to sleep soon I don’t want to remember this. Right then I honestly started realizing that I felt like I was choking and I couldn’t breathe. I soon realized it was the gas putting me out, and the room went black fast. The next thing I remember was people trying to wake me up and keep me still while I fought them telling them I had to go to the bathroom. Then I pretty much passed out again.

The after math…
The next morning around 5am Jacob and my mother came by to check on me. I remember saying I was in pain, and them getting the nurse. Then I remember not caring they were there, and sleeping. Jacob later told me this was funny because I was moving then the second the Morphine his me I went totally limp and asleep.
Around 7 every hour a new doctor would come in repeat was happened what the plan was and then leave. I swear like 5 came. Around 9 my parents came with Jacob. My mom looked really worried I guess the night before after the surgery I looked really bad, and she was really happy to see I had some color back in my face. I was sad at this point because they told me Eli was back with the Gilmore’s getting ready to go to Disneyland without me!! I laid down the law so Eli would still have fun, but that I wouldn’t miss too much. While they were there the Gilmore’s sent a text with a picture of Eli sucking on a vanilla frappacino and looking so happy. This made me feel better. Then they left. Jacob said he would be back in a few hours.
The next part of my day sucked. However they did finally let me leave around noon. Since we did not have the car we had to take a shuttle back to our hotel. Jacob was again wonderful helping with everything. My dad showed up took me to get some clothes better for my stomach and food. Then they dropped me off at the hotel. Jacob went to the movies, I slept and my dad went back to Disneyland.

Things I shouldn’t forget…

  • Right before I went into surgery Jacob thought it would be funny to send a text to his whole family. The text said something like “We’re in California Stacy’s going into surgery tonight keep her in your prayers.” of course Linda is calls several times, then Ben and Allison however the best was Daniel he responded with, “Okay brother, I’ll say a prayer for her.

  • Jacob not only was really funny to calm be down but he was kind, tender and very supportive. I know I married a very talented and gifted man. Yet he still surprises me with how amazing he is. I thought Jacob would be grouchy or mad or even have a hard time taking care of me. He NEVER complained was always helpful, spoke so kind, was always smiling, and just tried his best to help me. He was amazing!!!

  • My parents were amazing too. They basically took all of Eli’s stuff into their room and took care of him for us. That way Jacob only had to worry about me and I only had to worry about getting better. Jacob and I both said about 12 times how lucky we were that they were there.

  • This one I hated was when they would talk about the baby in my tummy. They always called it a fetus and really acted like it was not a person. I think clearly they are wrong when you watch the ultra sound seeing the baby move, and watching it’s little heart beat. It is clearly a person. It really concerned me that they spoke like this I was worried it was their excuse not to worry about the baby. However later a few of the doctor told me they had little ones at home which made me feel better that they would take care of my little baby.

Oh yeah!!
I almost forgot. The day I got out my Appendix Eli went with my family. He loved the Churro's, and went he went to a Bugs life that have this splash park. My mom and dad told me people would just stop to watch him. I guess he was supper funny and cute about it. When my mom went to pick him up and take him out and lady said please don't he is being so cute. I know I missed some really cute memories, but at least he had a good time, and someone who loves him a lot was there to remember and tell us all about it. Thanks Mom and Dad!! Oh I just love this little boy! These are pictures of when he got back he was so happy to see us, however look at how tired he was from all the fun!



The story all summed up....

I think the saying goes I left my heart in San Fransisco in my case I left my Appendix in Irvine.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Stacy, This report was looong, but it was very interesting, and I enjoyed reading the entire account of your CA adventure. Thanks for sharing it with us!!!

Linda