Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Charlayne Brewer

I always feel like blogs are a spot where everyone is always perfectly happy and nothing ever goes wrong. In the case of my blog I want to use this as a journal/scrapbook, and in order for it to be accurate and what I want it to be there will be some sad posts here and there. That is exactly what this post is a sad moment in my life. On Tuesday morning my mother called me and informed me that my Aunt Charlayne had passed away in the night. My first reaction was complete shock or should I say doubt...is this really true? Can my mother be right? She is so young, is this even possible? How could this happen? Then the worrying started to hit me oh my goodness how are her children copping? How is my uncle Doug? How on earth are you going to tell her grandchildren that grandma is gone? At this point the tears hit...I was not sure if I was feeling the pain of those I love around me or my own. I do know that my aunt Charlayne was a beautiful person inside and out. She was sweet, kind, tender, loving, extremely talented and so fun to be around. She was such a thoughtful person, most the time I was with her she was in a lot of pain, but her thoughts were always about others. She was so thoughtful and was always willing to help out if you needed her. Charlayne's type of spirit and personality was so rare to find. I felt justified in my tears. Why take away someone so young and so precious?

For a week I pondered her passing I felt as though my emotions were a little bit of a roller coaster. I was glad that she went in her sleep next to the love of her life. I was glad she got to see love and kiss on all of her grandchildren. I was thankful for all the tender mercies granted to those loved ones around her...but I was also heartbroken she was gone. I was sad that we had to let go, but most of all I was upset I didn't take more advantage of the times I had to spend just one on one with her. Her funeral was held this past weekend and I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to attend. As I was there my thoughts changed. Maybe it was how brave her family was, the spirit that was around them or the words being said, but somehow I thought more clearly. I always thought of funerals as a time to morn the loss of someone, but I finally realized it is more fitting to celebrate their life. Instead of crying about what you lost and your pain your thought should turn to those sweet tender memories you have of them and what they have just gained. I am so thankful for my sweet moments with my aunt. I treasure her sweet spirit, and I am so thankful for her amazing example. I know that because she was in my life it was brightened, and for this I will be forever grateful.

6 comments:

Emily Lauren said...

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt passing away. In a way you know it's wonderful for them, but you mourn knowing it will be a while till you'll see them again.
It's neat that you were able to see it in another way. Thanks for sharing.

Brette said...

what a sweet post! The same things went thru my head when I recieved the phone call. You just never know when your time is up here on earth and your called home. Were so blessed to have the knowledge we do! I'm so happy I got to see you and your cute little man Eli! I just wished we could of done some more catching up. I'll just have to come and see you at your house sometime won't I?!
Also. Last night I woke up at 4:00 A.M and guess what was on my mind?? One of those breakfast burriots we used to get from Filiburtos! How random huh?? I guess I'm in need of one!

Jake and Lynn said...

It is such a wide range of emotions when someone we love passes away. We are thinking about you and your family. You are blessed to have had such a wonderful person be a part of your life.

The Richins Family said...

stacy, i am glad that you were able to go to the funeral. i wanted to go so much but aaron couldn't afford to miss work and i couldn't afford to miss being a mom for monday. we are on a carpool system with brayden and brooklyn. i was sad to hear about aunt charlayne. she was definitely loved. what a good post. bridget and bryan said they were able to attend and so were my parents of course, i am sure you saw them there. veronica and i were going to carpool together, but we couldn't. we are so glad that everyone understood that we couldn't attend and knew that we wanted to. i feel okay with the funeral and her passing. she is finally out of pain! i do feel bad for uncle doug though. i can't imagine waking up and falling asleep without your loved one, soul mate. i hope he can overcome this. anyway, just wanted to tell you that.

Cami Epperson said...

I had the same reaction when I heard too. We'll all miss Charlayne. She had a way of making everyone feel so loved. Thanks for the post and my prayers and condolences are with you and her whole family. If you see Brett, tell him that for me too. Thanks.

The Kemptons said...

I am so sorry Stacy. It is always hard to lose love ones. I hope your whole family is doing ok considerng the resent loss.