Saturday, September 26, 2009

Our Getaway

Jacob and I left for Scottsdale on Thursday for our first little trip away from Eli. We thought about flying somewhere, but I just didn't feel good about going too far away from our guy. So we picked out a super nice hotel and Scottsdale and decided to live it up for a few day. Here is how it went....
Thursday
We played with Eli for a little bit then dropped him off with Debbie a little after 4. We drove out to the Royal Palms hotel on Camelback. Upon check in the trip already started off to a great start when we found out the we got upgraded to the honeymoon suite. We already had a really good rate for the suite we booked so this was AWESOME. A guy showed us around then took us to our room it was so nice! Here are some pictures.


After getting set up in the room we decided we were hungry. We changed our clothes and headed out to this Mexican restaurant. On our way I saw City Hall and called Steph to see if we were dressed ok because we wanted to try it out. She said we were, so we decided to eat there. The place is cool, and VERY EXSPENSIVE. We ordered crab cakes, each got a steak, and spinach. To be honest Jacob and I really didn't like the place and we thought it was so over priced. We both gave it a thumbs down, and we will Not be going back again. After dinner we were right by the mall so we went in to get a few things, and then headed back to the hotel.
Friday
On Friday Jacob was supposed to let me sleep in, but at 6:15 he came in and woke me up. Our plans were to hike Cambelback that morning and he was worried if I slept any longer it would get to hot on the hike. So I decided to get up. We drove to the mountain, and then the fun began! (HA)

This part could actually have it's own post, and probably should because more than likely I will NEVER do it again. Here is how it went...according to me....

We parked really far away, and no joke after walking over a mile we then started our hike. It wasn't too bad to start just climbing up the first like 5 minutes then once we got about 1/2 way to the saddle I started getting tired. I was following behind Jacob and I got to thinking that I would do better if I ran up the up parts and then rested until he caught up to me and then starting running again. Once I started doing this I seemed to handle it much better, however there were a lot of people going down so I would have to stop because of them. This plan would have worked perfectly...if we were the only ones on the mountain. Just before we got to the saddle I told Jacob I had to stop and rest. I said this at a perfect spot because there was this nice big rock I layed on. It was shaded, and flat so I layed on that for a few minutes. Then I decided it was time to start going again. One detail I am leaving out is every few minutes I was sure to let Jacob know that hiking this was so not my thing, and I was not having very much fun (as nicely as possible). Once I got to the saddle I saw a lot of people stop and turn around. I wish I was one of them because Jacob said I could not have my pedicure unless I got to the top. (plus I knew if I didn't go all the way to the top I would be mad at myself, and Jacob would bug me until I actually did make it to the top). The 2nd part of the hike was the worst part!! Not because it was physically hard, but because it was scary. This part had a lot more pointy rocks and dangerous falls and all around I just thought I was going to accidentally slip and kill myself by falling down the mountain. FINALLY I made it to the top!! Jacob is the type that likes to enjoy his reward (the view from the top) I on the other hand wanted to get this over with so I decided that I wanted to head back right way, but I stayed a little longer for him. The way down was not so bad, but I did spend a lot of time on my bottom so I wouldn't be on the news as the crazy girl who got hurt on Camelback mountain.

Other things to note about the hike:
  • There was an old man with a cane that climbed the entire mountain. Every once in a while I would look back and see he was gaining on me. On the way down I passed him still on his way up. I told him he was my hero and I was so impressed. I found out after talking to him for a bit that he was the good climber and would have probably passed me. It took him so long because the guy he was with liked to stop and look at the view.
  • There was another old guy who had on a bikers helmet that started way after us. He passed us on his way up. Passed us again on his way down and we were still on our way up. I am pretty sure that guy was done before I even made it to the top!
  • The old saying is true...you can take a girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl. Or in this case you can't make a girl hike a mountain in the city either!
  • Once we got to the main road there was our mile plus hike back to the car. Jacob was awesome and wanted to run so he ran back to the car, and I walked back. I didn't have to walk all the way to the car because Jacob drove back and picked me up.
After our hike we went and got breakfast and then headed back to the room to shower and take naps. Jacob who never takes long naps joined me for a nice long 2 hour nap! Since I finished the hike I earned my reward of a pedicure so Jacob and I got our pedicure. Jacob was funny when he made the appointment because he just kept saying I want them to rub my legs a lot, I want a lot of massaging...that is basically the only reason he goes. I enjoyed the pedi except that the lady before totally interrupted my time because she scuffed her nails. My nail lady was annoyed but had to make her happy...so I did not get a lot of massage.

After the pedi's we did our last adventure for the day and went and ate at the Melting Pot. Jacob and I love to eat there, and so this meal was MUCH better than City Hall and Jacob as you can see is a little sun burned from the hike.
Saturday

I slept in Jacob was as always up by 5:00 but when we were both up we ordered room service. Jacob got a breakfast burrito and I got oatmeal with creme brulee. After enjoying our yummy breakfast we got dressed and headed to the Scottsdale fashion to do some shopping. My birthday is coming up so Jacob gave me some of my b-day money to go shopping with. I did not end up getting anything...yet. After shopping for a while, and Jacob trying really hard to be a good sport about all the shopping we ate lunch at Z Tejas. I ate there a while ago and thought Jacob would love it. Then we headed back to the hotel to rest before we left for our massages. Jacob and I got a couples massage at Dolce salon. It was an hour and a half and we loved every minute of it! Now that we were totally relaxed we grabbed some food at a sports bar watched the ASU game and went back to the hotel to relax for the rest of the evening.

Sunday


We woke up pretty early and we were really missing our little guy. Our original plans were to relax until brunch, and then we were going to go to eat the brunch at the Phoenician. However our reservations we not until 11:15 and we wanted to head home so we called and moved our plans to just have breakfast there. I love these pastries they have there, and they serve them at breakfast so we didn't even have to wait for brunch. It was yummy. Oh yeah remember for our anniversary Jacob ate this salmon thing and he thought it was so gross? Well they had it again, and I took a picture this time! After breakfast we went back to the Royal Palm packed up and drove home to our baby.

Since it was after 9 my family was already at church so we drove to their ward to get him. We were not dressed poorly however we were not dressed nice enough for church either. We still decided to go inside because we were dying to see our little man. After the sacrament was passed my parents brought Eli out. He had just woken up and kept starring at us. Now looking back on it, I know he though it was just a dream. Since it was the primary program I decided to run to my sister's house borrow and skirt and stay. Jacob left to go home and relax and take a nap. When I came back Eli was more awake and was so excited to see me. He started shaking his hands and grabbed me and gave me the biggest hug. He honestly did not let go of me for at least 15 minutes! It was wonderful. Jacob and I had a wonderful time. I am so thankful we were able to do this!

2 comments:

Brette said...

How in the world have I missed all these posts?? I had to read up on like 8 of them! I dont really even know where to beging but by saying how freaken huge Eli has gotten!! I can't believe it! He's growing up soo fast. And the salmon thing looks disgusting. Anyway we need to meet on msn sometime to catch up!

Katie said...

I just finished reading all of your blog entries. You're making so many good memories with Eli and Jacob. Wonderful little family!!

We miss you...see you in a week or so.