Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Eli's here, and we couldn't be happier!

I finally went into labor. Here are the details, as I remember them...



On Thursday July 24th I woke up feeling contractions about 9 minutes apart. I got really excited thinking today is the day. YIPPEEE!! I was also a little sad because my doctor was out of town and he wouldn't be back until Friday. I really wanted him to be there, but if Eli was ready to come there was nothing I was going to be able to do to stop him. Well needless to say the contractions stopped and I was a little sad. Jacob's parents called and invited us over to their house for lunch. I started to get dressed and while I was getting dressed I noticed that my contractions came back and now were 6 minutes apart. I told Jacob, but told him not to tell any one else for fear that they would stop if I started telling anyone. I wish I could tell you Jacob was able to keep it in but with in 5 minutes of being there Jacob spilled the beans. Linda and Cecil were very excited to hear the news and could not wait to hear what I found out at my doctor's appointment at 1:50. Linda gave Jacob a hair cut, and I called my mom and sister to give them an update on what was going on. We even played a little joke on them and told them Linda had checked me and I was 5 centimeters dilated. We thought we were so clever, but they didn't fall for it. Then we were off for the doctor.

We arrived at the appointment and my contraction still hadn't stopped, but they also were 6 minutes apart and not painful. As I was getting weighed Jacob said, "Stacy Doctor Huish is here." I looked at the nurse and she informed me that he had gotten back that day!! This is when I got really excited Eli could come today and everything would be great!!! After being checked I was informed I was 90% effaced and 3 1/2 centimeters dilated. We decided to strip my membranes and see if that would help speed things up. I was told that stripping your membranes was really painful, but I was pleased that it wasn't that bad so I was really glad I did it.

As soon as we left the office my contractions started getting pretty intense and were 3 minutes apart. We decided it was time to meet up with my Mom and Stephanie as I was pretty sure our baby boy was going to be born that day. We met up with them at my parent's house. All the kids were there and they were going crazy with excitement. They couldn't wait for the baby to come. We decided all the kids around was a little too much so we left for Wal-Mart to walk around and buy a stop watch. My contractions continued to stay 3 minutes apart and were getting more and more intense. We then decided we should go get my hospital bag. We drove to my house got the bag and headed for the hospital. I was worried I was heading to the hospital a bit early but on the way there I had 2 really painful contractions and I was really glad I was on my way there.

Once we got to the hospital we finished registering. I had already pre-registered so it was nice that it went so smoothly. It went smoothly until the lady informed me there were no beds and I would have to wait a second. So I got to walk around the waiting room with all these people having pretty bad contractions. Just when I thought I couldn't take it any more they took me back to a bed in triage. The nurse I got was named Kennly and she started setting me up to all the machines after she set me up I told her I was very thirsty. Once I said this Kennly was concerned that I was dehydrated and that is why I was having such bad contractions. She didn't want to give me an IV because I was dilated to a 4 1/2 and she was afraid it would stop the contractions. So for the next hour Jacob and I just fought through the contractions hoping I would dilate more and they would keep me. I must say this part was the most frustrating because my nurse was not very informative and she made me feel like I had done something wrong. Jacob did a great job calming me down and reassuring me Eli was fine. After an hour we got another nurse and she was a lot more helpful with more encouraging information. I wanted to walk around to try and speed things up so that is what I did for the next hour. My mom and Jacob took turns walking around with me. The next time she checked me I was dilated to a 6 and I decided I was ready for my epidural. They called doctor Huish and he said that would be fine, and I was officially admitted to the hospital.

Now came the bad news. They were in the middle of switching shifts and they didn't have a bed or a nurse for me AGAIN. They informed us I would have to wait and then they would take me over to Labor and Delivery. After about 30 more minutes of painful intense contractions I asked Jacob to go find out how much longer it would be. They said it would still be a while but my current nurse decided to start the IV so that I could get my epidural more quickly. More bad news... I was so dehydrated that my veins were so small they couldn't get the IV in. This has NEVER happened to me before. They finally got a tiny bit in but I had to hold my arm up so that it would drip. After that was over I got to meet my new nurse her name was Michelle and I was so happy to see her. Once I got to my room I met a lady named Candy and she was going to give me my epidural. Lets just say that I LOVE Candy. After about 5 minutes I can honestly say I didn't care about a thing. Everyone said it can be painful to receive the needle for the epidural but I found it painless. After Candy left Michelle checked me and I was dilated to a 7. I was proud of myself for lasting so long with no pain killers.


Now the waiting game started. The epidural slowed me down so I had a hard time dilating so they decided to give me patocine to help me out. My mom kept saying if she would get her water broken I am sure that would do the trick, but doctor Huish wasn't there so we found out that wasn't an option until he showed up. Once doctor Huish got there I was dilated to an 8 and they thought my water had already broken. I had no clue this happened (lets remember I honestly couldn't feel a thing or really move for that matter) An hour later Michelle decided it was time for me to start pushing.

I had to admit this part was so confusing for me. I wasn't sure how I was doing or if I was pushing correctly. My mom, sister and Jacob were so helpful at this point. I kept thinking I wasn't doing anything right but they said I was doing great. They were such wonderful coaches and helped me through the next HOUR of pushing. Yup that's right I said an hour. During one of my pushes I heard the nurse tell and show Jacob Eli's dark hair. When I heard this I instantly started smiling. A few minutes later I heard the nurse say I think it is curly. Again I really started smiling. This made me so happy because while I was pregnant I kept telling Jacob I hope he has dark curly hair! Once doctor Huish came back I pushed 2 more times and my little guy was here. It was amazing! The second I saw him I was overwhelmed with emotion. They placed him on my chest and I couldn't believe it was my baby was finally in my arms.


So after all that Eli ended up being born on July 25, 2008 at 1:53 a.m. They told us he weighed 7 lbs 3 oz and was 21 1/4 inches long. I kept saying he looks too chunky to be only 7 lbs. Even the nurse thought he looked bigger then 7 lbs. Later on we found out we were misinformed on Eli's weight and he was a whopping 8 lbs 7 oz!! What a happy healthy boy!!!





Things I want to remember...

  1. My nurse Michelle was so nice she helped me so much. It was neat because she actually knew Ben (Jacob's brother in law) Between all her hard work and doctor's Huish's patience I have been able to recover from delivery nearly painless. Except that for a few days I seriously thought a horse had been kicking my tail bone. It seriously brings a whole new definition to getting your butt kicked!


  2. Debbie's birthday is on the 24th and my dad's is on the 25th. Everyone was placing bets to see who would share their birthday with Eli. In the end my dad won and it was such a tender moment when my dad first saw him. My dad said it was the best birthday present ever and was crying!

  3. I want to remember the spirit that was in the room while I was pushing. In the movies there is a lot of screaming and panic and running around. It was NEVER like that for me. Even before the Epidural we were calm and ready for our sweet angel. Once he was officially out and everyone joined us in the room there wasn't a dry eye in the room. What a tender moment this was.


  4. I want to remember how wonderful Jacob was. He often made me nervous because he has such a hard time seeing me in pain. He even told me he was going to leave the room when I got my membranes striped because he couldn't take watching me in pain. I said if you can't take that how can you handle labor? I should have never doubted him. He was absolutely amazing and during some difficult times he really pushed me through.


  5. Other then my husband my sister Stephanie is my best friend. Having her right there helping and encouraging me the entire time was so great. She is such a strong person and next to her I am a wuss, but she never once let me feel that way. She was so encouraging.


  6. My sweet mother was awesome. She had just had a surgery earlier in the week and wasn't feeling 100% but she was there. She really knows how to comfort her little girl. Just her words and soft touch really helped me.


It seems so unreal that he is here. I feel so blessed by all the love and support we have received leading up to and since Eli's arrival. We have had so many people who love and care for us stop by. I joke that we have a revolving door right now, but it is nice to know so many people already love our sweet baby. I am so thankful to be a mom and have such a wonderful start to our little family.

34 comments:

Stacy said...

Congratulations Jacob and Stacy!!! I'm very excited for you both! Babies are so fun! Enjoy the moments where they just lay on your chest to sleep.... I miss those! I hope everything is wonderful, as I'm sure it is! I'm so happy you have such a happy healthy boy. It just gets better and better!
Stacy (Mickelson) Riggs

Elliot and Cami said...

Oh Stacy he is beautiful! I've been checking your blog everyday hoping for pictures and the day finally came. He looks so much like Jacob right now. Elliot and I want to come see him so bad but we wanted to give you time to rest. Let me know if you need ANYTHING. I love that you felt it was peaceful and calm while you were pushing bec the girls on tv are so dramatic and make it seem like they are dying. I am so excited for baby Cohen(not 100% for sure on the name)to join the world too. Reading this makes me even more excited. Nice job for such a great delivery.

Kate said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I loved ready all of the details. What a cute healthy looking little guy. I'm so excited for you and hope to meet Eli sometime. Hooray!!

laura said...

Oh Stacy that just brought me to tears! I am so happy for you and Jacob. I am glad you gave all the details, I love hearing everyones different labor stories. I can't believe you had an 8 lb. baby in you! You still look so skinny! That just made me want a baby so bad. Congrats and keep up the pics!

sara said...

Hooray!! Congratulations you guys!! He's a cutie!!

Tatum and Chase Rasmussen said...

Stacy he is so cute!! Oh how fun!! Im glad the delivery and everything went good! Congrats!

The Richins Family said...

congrats! oh i am so happy for you. tha'ts great that you finally had a good nurse. when i have had those not so great nurses, i seriously want to kick them in the head. i hope you are recovering well. take it easy!!! he's so cute!!! it sounds like you did well. happy birthday uncle jeff!

dan and ashley said...

yea!!!! he's so cute! what a hunk! your post made me cry- you guys are awesome!

Brette said...

ooh Stacy he is perfect!! I can't get enough of him! I scrolled thru all the pictures like 5 times. I am so happy everything went well and your both healthy. Your post made me cry though... You are so good with your words and I love how detailed you are when you write. I'm so excited he's here now and I can't wait to meet him!

Alisse Baldwin said...

Oh Happy Day!! He's beautiful; congrats! I love how you journal everything- I totally want to do this in a few years when I am pregnant. You'll love having the specific memories!

Congrats, again!

Paisley Quilt Works said...

stacy he is sooo handsome. You did such an amazing job. Oh i cant wait for my little one to be here. It makes me happy to know that everything went well and he is a very healthy baby. cant wait to see more pictures, they grow up so fast. make sure to take lots and lots of photos.

The Turleys said...

Congratulations!!! What a wonderful birth story of Eli, and handsome little man you have. Reading this brought back so many memories. So glad you finally got a bed, and didn't have to deliver on a stretcher! Ya, I didn't have the best experience with my 2nd. Anyways glad to hear he is here and now you can enjoy him!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!! Your baby boy looks so cute and long! I can't wait to see him in person. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Your blogs are great to read! It totally sounded like you were telling your story right to us... you actually brought a tear to my eyes. You're too sweet!! Kurstan and I are so happy for you and Jacob. Take care of each other and we wish all the best for you and your family.

Ruthy Butler said...

Oh my gosh! He is so amazingly cute! I'm glad everything is going good for you guys! I had dr. Huish too! He's so awesome! Can't wait to come into town and meet Eli! Congrats!! Love you!

crosbiefamily said...

Congratulations! Cherish every moment, the baby stage is so short. So enjoy the cuddling. My 7 month old is already crawling and eating baby food. Eli is beautiful. Two days ago I looked at your blog about his room. Then I got your email today that he had arrived! I am so happy for you and Jacob. I only wish I could be there to visit. I was in Montana last week with Cindy Willey and we talked about you. We both miss you a lot.
Love you!!!

Emily Lauren said...

Stacy! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! It sounds like the labor and delivery went pretty smooth, even though you had to push for an hour. What a special, wonderful moment for your family. Eli is perfect :)

Mrs. Allens Class said...

Oh my goodness I am seriously tearing up. Your post was so sweet and Eli will love to read and see all about it some day. I am so happy for you both. You are a beautiful family. Congartulations!

Langdon & Heather said...

OMG!!! Congratulations!!! That is so exciting... i'll have to catch up on the story line later i'm not much of blog reader i'm more for the pics and what wonderful pictures they are!! You both must be so elated! I'm glad that everyone is healthy... what an amazing thing it is! Congratulations again on your lil blessing.

Flaherty Fam said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you and am glad to hear you and Eli are doing great. My cell phone went off twice in the middle of the night and I was like "who is texting me?". It was Aunt Cyndi spreading your good news. I can't wait to meet Eli in person.

Cami Epperson said...

Congrats you two! We are so excited for you! He's so cute... but how could he NOT be?? :)

AJ and Cindy said...

Stace! I totally teared up as I read all this. I am so happy everything went well and little Eli is here. He is so cute! You are going to be such a great mommy. I can't believe he is here, it seems like yesterday I found out you were expecting! I love you so much and I can't wait till I can see you again!! Congrats to you and Jacob!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Stacy!! I am so happy for you both! Eli is precious!!

Sharisa at Outstanding Occasions said...

Yeah! I'm like totally crying! He is so precious and I am so happy for you guys. I cannot wait to see him. We will have so many fun playdates with our little guys :)

Linds said...

He is PRECIOUS! I can't wait to meet him in person. What a beautiful baby boy!

Kenyon said...

I got choked up reading all those wonderful details. Congratulations to you guys. He is adoreable. I am so happy for you Stacy. Cant wait to meet him :)

Kiersten Allred said...

What a cutie pie!!! Sounds like the labor wasn't completely horrible. My sister-in-law had her baby 2 days before you and they ended up giving her a c-section with no drugs. Can't wait to see more pics.

Shaun and April Payne said...

He looks absolutely perfect! Congrats! I loved reading your story. He is so cute!

Our Mission said...

Stacy, thank you for sharing this special occasion with us. Eli is so precious. Even down here in the Philippines the excitement is high. We are so happy for you and Jacob and know that your families are just thriled. Isn't is just marvelous that families can be forever, even though your lives are now changing as well. We just learned the our posting for some reason haven't recorded on your blog. Just know that we love you,

Kristi & Austin said...

So glad it all went well. My delivery with Jaxon was the same way, AMAZING and almost painless, but terrible tailbone pain. lol enjoy your little guy

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful.
Congratulations!

Veronica said...

I am so happy for you! There is nothing like that feeling of seeing your baby for the first time. I totally teared up readingt this post - it reminded me so much of my first! It is so amazing how you love someone that much and you just met! Congratulations! What a great story!

Melissa said...

Congratulations! I hope that everything is going well!

Erin Davis said...

Newborns aren't supposed to be that cute! He is so beautiful. Congrats, I hope things are going good for you and Eli. Congrats!

Ben said...

Stacy, I assume you mean me when you said your nurse knew me? What is her last name or what was the connection?