Saturday, July 5, 2008

Home made and yummy!




About a year ago Jacob and I were starting to get comfortable with the idea of starting our family. There were a lot of things I wanted to learn to do before our baby came, so I decided to quit my job at Brewer-Caldwell. The main thing I wanted to accomplish was become like my Grandma Brewer as much a possible. In order to do this I wanted to learn how to make all the yummy comfort food she was so good at making. I know that making these items does not fully turn me into my Grandma Brewer, but I do feel like it would be a fabulous start. The list of homemade items included homemade bread, Jam, Salsa and Squash Pie. I know a Squash Pie sounds gross but trust me it was the most delicious pie EVER!!!

Due to the Tomato problem my Aunt Linda brought us a lot of Tomatoes they were giving out for free up north because they couldn't sell them in the stores due to the salmonella scare.. Well since we got so much for free. We decided to make homemade Salsa and while we were at it make jam as well. My Aunt Deana came to my parents house and Deana, Debbie, Aly, Mamo and I got busy. We ended up making 49 1/2 pints of Salsa!

It was fun sealing the jars and waiting for the little pops they made once truly sealed. It was like our little reward for all of our hard work.

We also made 9 pints of homemade Jam.

Now all I have left to learn to cook is the squash pie. The only problem is I am not sure anyone knows how she made it. (She didn't measure when she cooked) Either way I had so much fun this week with our little activity and now that I know how to make each of these (including bread....I learned to make that a few months ago) I feel like I can move on to other things my grandma did. Who knows maybe I will be a really good quilter someday!

14 comments:

sara said...

I'm impressed! ~and also suddenly hungry :)

nolongerablog said...

i love canning! my aunt Renee go me all the canning stuff to get started for our wedding, i also have a great book, canning for dummies, its the best. i really want to do pickles! jess has told me over and over again that i have to get your grandma brewers res. because she made the best.. so maybe we should get together to do pickles!

Veronica said...

I think it's fun too and I love seeing the jars in my pantry! I have the recipe for the squash pie. I have to warn you that it is very good, but not quite as good as grandmas, even though it's her recipe. Plus, to make it even harder, she cooked by love, not really by the recipe. It was mostly by eye. Amazing, huh?!

megan allen said...

Ok now I want some chips and salsa and toast and Jam and it's fast sunday! Thanks alot! J/K :)

Sharisa at Outstanding Occasions said...

That is funny about your mom :) I guess that's how rumors get started..."did you hear what that Shiflet girl is naming her son? She is so crazy!" haha :)

Annie said...

Stacy, you're a domestic goddess.

The Kemptons said...

Good for you!

The Turleys said...

How fun! I Love doing all the things that my Grandmas are really good at. That salsa looks really yummy- you'll have to pass the recipe my way.

The Richins Family said...

stacy! oh my am i with you on this post!!!! i miss and loved grandma brewer so much. i have been trying to find the best recipe for her squash pie, it WAS the BEST EVER! I have been trying for a couple years now and my dad still tells me that i am getting better at making it good but i haven't made it as good as she made it. what kinds of tomatoes did you can? romas or beefstake? i have done romas and those are a cinch! if you want to can chicken, i just did chicken a month ago. i bought the organic chicken from sprouts because once you pressure cook it and seal it, the liquid is clear and not some other disgusting color. if you need ideas, veronica and i can a lot. we've done peaches too. you must have had a bunch of tomatoes, because salsa uses alot of tomatoes. let me know when they are giving away free tomatoes again, please! thanks. jenny

The Richins Family said...

oh ya stacy, if you want the recipe for the fudge she made, aaron makes great fudge. my dad has tested it out and swears it tastes like grandma brewers'.

Brette said...

It's true... Squash pie is the GREATEST!! Every year my grandma makes squash pie for Thansgiving or Christmas and I just down it! I think Grandma Brewer has a few secrets when it comes to that pie though. It seems as if no matter who makes it, it's never as perfect as her's were. Anyway, your salsa and jam look really good.

dan and ashley said...

yum!!

nolongerablog said...

holy crap stacy, eli will be here in only 19days or sooner!!!!!??? i cant believe it. how dang fun.

Kenyon said...

I am VERY impressed. That has to feel great! That baby is gonna be here anyday....YEAH!