Friday, October 3, 2008

Eli's 2 month check up.

Today was Eli's two month check up and lets just say I dreamed it would have gone so much better!! Let's start with the night before. My little man is normally a great sleeper, but the last two nights he has been a little restless in his sleep. Last night he woke up crying at 4 he didn't cry the whole time but did not go back to sleep until around 6:30. I woke up at 9 am and started getting ready for his appointment that was set for 10:30. In the middle of me getting dressed Eli woke up and was hungry so needless to say I was running a little late getting out the door. I left my wallet at my parents house last night so I asked Jacob for his credit card so I could pay for it and then ran out the door. On my way there I realized I forgot A LOT of things. First off I forgot his new Insurance card (we had problems with his old one so I just got a new plan for Eli and Jacob) The second thing I forgot was immunization chart. I am not comfortable with giving Eli a lot of shots at once so we are following another schedule. Obviously these two things were very important so I had to bug Jacob and get them to fax them over to the Dr.'s office ASAP!

After all these bad things I thought what else could possibly go wrong. I felt confident that I would be able to handle the remainder of his check up. BOY WAS I WRONG. I was so proud of my little guy when they measured and weighted him, he did not pee or even cry. I thought the worst of it was over because on his first two visits those were the hardest things...WRONG again. The doctor came in an immediately started talking about his vaccinations. I said "Sorry I am not following that schedule I will be following this one."to which I received a look like you are some insane hippie mom that isn't taking care of your baby. I was scared by her look but I stood firm on my belief. Then she checked Eli and pointed out his cradle cap yippee strike number two for me as a mom. She again acted like I was dumb for not already having the whole thing gone. I informed her I had been working on it and it already looked a lot better. I thought this was as bad as it was going to get but NOPE again I was wrong...the worst news was yet to come. She started to check his mouth and the dreaded words came out of her mouth, "your baby has Thrush." It was like the second she said it a light clicked in my head. Duh no wonder Eli cried two times last night he never cries. Duh no wonder when I nursed him last night it was painful...Nursing has never been painful for me actually it has always felt like a relief. I then started to wonder how did he get this I personally never had a problem with yeast...grrr does this mean I don't clean him well enough? Does this mean I don't clean my hands enough? Oh no has my baby been in awful pain and I did nothing to help him? I started to ask her these questions...at least her answers didn't make me feel so bad FINALLY!! She said it is very common she said it can happen from any number of reasons and most likely he was not in a lot of pain because it was a very small amount. I caught it early and that the Thrush should be gone in less than a week. She also informed me that it had moved to his diaper. (I am positive he didn't get that until last night because I started to notice the bumps that night and then the next morning they got a little worse.) She gave me medicine sent me on my merry way or should I say not so merry.

I shouldn't be so upset about this and I know that everything will be ok. I am trying to be more positive about it and think of things like: I am so grateful that my old insurance was crappy so that my appointment got moved back a week. Since it was moved back we caught it more quickly. I should look on the bright side that Thrush is the only thing he has and other then that he is a perfectly healthy happy baby boy. I should be happy that she was impressed with his weight gain (at least as a mom I give him good milk). I choose to think of those things instead of the bad thing. Well ok I did think of the bad things for a least a few hours! Now I choose to think of all the good.

Eli's current stats are:
Weight 14 lbs 4 oz - 90%
Height 23 1/2 in. -55%
Head: 38.5 cm-10% (seriously I can't believe this one)

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the past couple of weeks with my little man.

Aly playing mommy.

The big man and the little man.

My two favorite boys in the whole world!

Ok Seriously!! Love that bottom!
Here is a little video of Eli making this funny noise. If you sit out and talk to him or if he sees some thing he really likes he makes this funny noise. I love it becase first off it is a really cute noise, and seconly my mom said that I made the same exact noise when I was little. Yipee everyday more and more he does thinks like his mommy! I love that he is so much like his daddy but I do want him to be a little bit like me too!

7 comments:

Sharisa at Outstanding Occasions said...

Oh that must have sucked at the doctors! But you are a great mom and I'm glad that the thrush is the only thing and you can totally take care of that! We do need to get together sometime. Call me :)

Erin Davis said...

Hayden had thrush a few months ago. My other two never got it, and no it doesn't mean that you are a bad mom. Hayden's went away quickly, and I don't think he was in any pain. Eli is so adorable!

Amy John said...

K seriously I hate doctors! First of all, yay to you for realizing that there are other options out there for vaccinations and also for sticking to your guns when the ignorant doc tried to make you feel stupid about it. Secondly, my daughter got Thrush at the same age as little Eli, and let me just tell you, that you are not a bad MOm!!!!! It happens!!! It will be gone in no time. At least you caught it early, I just thought she had milk on her tongue and I think I let it go a week till I took her in. Now that is scary right?? Anyway, dont be down, you sound like a great mom.

Amy said...

Blegk... I HATE days like that and I am so sorry you had to have one! Doctors can be the worse, don't even let them make you feel bad for a second - moms always know best! I hope the thrush goes away soon - no fun. Eli is SO lucky to have you.

Elliot and Cami said...

He is so adorable. I am so sorry about the thrush. That is not fun to deal with for either of you I'm sure! I am so grateful for all your advice and encouragement as I get closer to having this baby. I'm glad I can read all about your experiences on here too. It is hard when you have things planned out a certain way and then all your plans get changed with a complication. I guess that is just pregnancy and newborns!

The Thatchers said...

you are so cute and funny. im sorry at about his check up. it was kindof like that our very first checkup with jeremaih. we had no idea what we were doing. we were not feeding him enouph. he had lost 9% of his birth wieght in 4 days.( thats not good).he is all better know. oh, and something else funny, they called me to be in activity days in my ward.yay!

laura said...

Aw! He is so cute! I am sorry about the doctors appointment being so stressful. I have had a few of those lately so I guess they never go aways but I do remember it being harder when they are so little because there are so many things to remember. I was always forgetting something! You are such a caring mom!